Lanark is a small town in the central belt of Scotland. Population is in the region of 8,300. The name Lanark is believed to come from the Cumbric Laneric meaning ‘ clear space, glade’.
Lanark has excellent train links to Glasgow and several other towns en route. The bus station provides links to many rural villages and larger towns alike.
Lanark is one of the oldest Royal Burghs in Scotland. King David l made it a Royal Burgh in 1140 giving mercantile privileges relating to government and taxation. A condition of the charter was that the merchants of the town inspected their boundary stones annually and it is this ritual that has given rise to what is now known as the Lanimer celebrations. In 1892 the first Lanimer Procession was held and the following year the first Lanimer Queen was crowned. Every June Lanark holds its Lanimer Week with the highlight of the week on the Thursday when the town’s children parade in fancy dress with decorated vehicles and pipe bands down the High Street to witness the crowning of the Lanimer Queen and her court, all who have been elected from local schools. The crowning takes place on a stand in front of St Nicholas Church overlooked by a statue of William Wallace.
Close by to Lanark is the World Heritage Site of New Lanark, and the Falls of Clyde. New Lanark tells the story of the cotton mill village founded in the 18th century under the management of Robert Owen who pioneered the way forward in working conditions and education for the employees and their families working in the mills. The Annie McLeod experience is a ride narrated by Annie telling the story of her life in New Lanark in 1820.
Within the World Heritage Site of New Lanark is the Falls of Clyde Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve where people can learn more about the Falls of Clyde waterfalls, the surrounding woodland and the animal and birdlife in the area.
Lanark is steeped in history including the historical link with William Wallace. In May 1297 William Wallace gathered a group of men at Lanark to exact revenge for the death of his wife Marion Braidfute on the English Sheriff of Lanark and his men and so starting the First War of Independance.
Lanark Loch was man made in the 19th Century as a recreational space for the people of the town and is still a very popular area to visit especially when the sun shines.
Historically a market town Lanark still has an agricultural market which is now located on the outskirt of the town.
There are three main primary schools, Lanark Primary, Robert Owen Memorial Primary and St Mary’s Primary. Lanark Grammar School provides the Secondary education for Lanark and surrounding rural area.
Lanark also provides several places of worship, Christ Church, EU Congregational Church, Gospel Hall, Greyfriars Parish Church, Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church and St Nicholas Parish Church.
For leisure there are a wide and varied range of clubs on offer in the town including golf club, swimming club, cycling club, bowling clubs, pony club, football clubs, amateur musical society, gymnastic club, panto club and many more.